Labels

Monday, November 28, 2011

Boyce Thompson Arboretum


Ohmygosh, need I say more?  Let's just put it this way, the only thing I didn't like about the Boyce Thompson Arboretum was the drive out there.  From Peoria, it was 79 miles or something like that.  Nonetheless, it's been on my list of places to go for a few years and now that my littlest doesn't scream for the entire duration of every single car ride she goes on, I was ready for the trip.

The view when we got there....



Just inside the Arboretum, heading down the Main Trail...


First stop was a sign that gives visitors more information about getting the most out of their time at the Arboretum...



Different parts of the Arboretum...





My oldest daughter has always had an appreciation for beauty...



My son's favorite exhibit talked about cacti.  I think I agree with him.  I learned a lot at this stop.  I really want to try the fruit of the prickly pear cactus.



Fall colors are not something we see much of here in the Valley.  So, while we were east, the kids played in all of the fallen leaves.




Jarrod and Jilly played Hide & Seek in the bigger palms...


We finished up our day in the Children's Garden.  VERY creative.  It was a big hit with all three of my kids.


There are different stations in the Children's Garden.  The first is the Sounds of the Garden.  There was a giant wooden toad and the kids rub its back.  It makes croaking sounds.  There is a rain-maker, which was neat.  There were wooden windchimes.




The next station is all about Smells of the Garden.  If you look, you can even see the SKUNK in the picture about that station!


That skunk was there for a reason!



The next station was a maze.  My kids went tearing in, quickly losing themselves amongst the vegetation.  I scrept up on them and went "BOO!"  Leave it to my son to say, "Mom's the Minotaur!"  They all thought that was hilarious.  They would've happily spent another 15-20 minutes playing in the maze.



The next station has a sundial clock.  It was surprisingly accurate...


The Arboretum was a big hit with my nature lovers.  My son wants a garden just like it.  Keep dreaming, kid.

My family has a membership to the Desert Botanical Gardens here in town, so I really wasn't sure whether the trip out to the Arboretum in Superior was going to end up being worth it or not.  On one hand, a plant is a plant and desert vegetation isn't always spectacular.  On the other, the serenity of gardens is alluring.  Bottom line, while I wouldn't make the drive out to Superior on a regular basis, I will go back.  In March, actually.  For one of their Homeschool Days.

1 comment:

  1. We went for a homeschool tour on Plants of the Bible when I first moved out here. Loved it! I didn't remember a pond, though, or the children's garden. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete