Labels

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Visiting the Antique Shops in Historic Glendale, AZ

We had some time to kill before the watermelon eating contest at the Watermelon Festival, so my kids, my oldest daughter's two friends, and I decided to explore the historic district of Glendale.  One thing that historic Glendale is not short on: antique shops.  On a whim, we decided to poke our heads into one and look around.  I really wasn't expecting a 14-year-old, a 12-year-old, an 11-year-old, a 10-year-old, and a 4-year-old to enjoy "antiquing"....boy, was a surprised.  I could hardly get them out of the shops!

My son (the 14-year-old) is a huge history buff and loves anything to do with the military, so he was captivated by all of the military and World War Two-era memorabilia.  He was also enchanted by the old-fashioned models of planes and submarines to build.  I just may have to do back when it gets closer to his birthday, because in his words, "you can find cool stuff like this in (insert name of hobby or craft store here)."

On the other end was my 4-year-old, who fell immediately into creative play when she found the antique displays that had a child-sized table alongside some funky kitchen cabinet thing, the old-fashioned crank-and-turn laundry machine and old school ironing board, and the fancy dishes.  Quite simply, she did not want to leave.


All of them had fun exploring every nook and cranny.  It was a lot of fun in an unexpected place.  Definitely go spend some time poking around in the quaint stores of historic Glendale.

No comments:

Post a Comment