Labels

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Date Creek Ranch

My family took a day trip out to Date Creek Ranch today for their grassfed-beef BBQ and apple picking.  Date Creek Ranch is located about 15 miles north of Wickenburg.

We started the day off with lunch.  The portions were huge!  We had left-overs.  And, YUM.  It was delicious.

 We then headed out to the orchards, with a wheelbarrow and some apple pickers.  I'd never used an apple picker before!  The day was HOT, so it wasn't as comfortable or as much fun as it could've been, but you've got to pick when the fruit is ripe! 



My kids had so much fun with those apple pickers!  They loved the "hunt" for the perfect apple.  Date Creek lets you snack on apples while you're out picking, too.  Be aware that the bees like snacking on fallen apples too!  There were lots of bees, so we did watch our footing, but none of them bothered us at all.  Many of the apples are hard and small, but I think they'll make perfect apple pie filling and I'm going to try my hand at homemade canned applesauce too.  At $1 per pound for organic apples, you just couldn't go wrong!





Besides the orchards, Date Creek also has cattle and pigs.  My littlest liked the pigs!  She wanted to play with them, but they were snoozing.



I'm sure my kids will talk about apple picking for months, and will be asking us when we can go back and do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment