Labels

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Memorial for the Fallen Hotshot Firefighters

This is the first time I am profiling an event I went to with one of my children that my readers will not be able to go partake in themselves.  I'm writing about it anyway, because it was an amazing display of community amidst tragedy.  For those who don't know, 19 of a 20 member team of "Hotshot" firefighters died on June 30th, 2013 when the Yarnell Fire overtook them.  

Originally, my 14-year-old son and I were heading up to Prescott to observe a Congressional field hearing and meet Congressman Paul Gosar.  My son has a blog of his own, called XY Politics.  Jarrod had done a phone interview with Congressman Gosar, and when we heard that he'd be in Prescott for this hearing, we decided to make the trip to Prescott to meet him.

When we got to Embry Riddle Aeronautical College, where the hearing was supposed to be taking place, we discovered that Congressman Gosar had begun working with the mayor of Prescott and others that morning to set aside politics for the evening and turn the event into a memorial for 19 young men.  We decided to stay.

It was a packed house.  Standing room only.  People crowded around the entrance to the gymnasium because there wasn't any more room.  Armed security guards refusing entry because of fire codes.  Over 1000 people showed up.

Congressman Gosar played emcee.  Congressmen Trent Franks and David Schweikert, and Congresswoman Ann Kirkpatrick were in attendance and spoke.  So did Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne.  



As I'm writing this, the Yarnell Fire is still burning and has not been contained.

If you are interested, I was able to capture most of the memorial from my iPod....

















No comments:

Post a Comment